Corinth Pipeworks focuses on technological developments and continual investments to be at the forefront of the oil and gas sector and to innovate in technology, R&D and customer services.
- Offshore Reel-lay method
Pipe reeling is a fast and efficient method of laying offshore pipelines. Pipes are welded, tested and coated onshore and then spooled in one continuous length on a reeling vessel. The vessel sails to site, the spool is unwound and the pipe laid. The major advantages of Reel-lay are the high production rate as well as the controlled welding and inspection conditions onshore. Advanced technological requirements for pipe properties and dimensional tolerances posed by high plastic strains on the pipe.
CPW is one of the very few worldwide to offer pipes up to 24m length for reel lay purposes, compared to the common 12m.
Longer pipes mean less girth welds, decreased time of preparation and lower total cost.
- Deep offshore:
The deep offshore is believed to harbor significant percentage of the world’s oil and gas resources.
Latest technological developments made deep water exploration and production possible and cost efficient. Most of the new discoveries and high potential exploration fields are offshore in deep & ultra-deep waters while E&P spending is expected to rise significantly in the next decade.
The main challenges relate to the extreme conditions of the abyssal environment.
CPW has the unique capability to offer LSAW pipes from 16” (406.4mm) external diameter and above in high strength and wall thickness to cover the increasing needs for deep offshore applications.
Cost reducing solutions
- End product uniformity strategy
In close cooperation with end users and installation contractors, CPW’s state of the art manufacturing plant and sophisticated forming methods are promoting the “end product uniformity” strategy, aiming to tighter dimensional tolerances on critical dimensional pipe characteristics such as:
- pipe diameter and roundness (both ends and body)
- wall thickness
Pipe tracking and laser measuring systems generate detailed reports of pipe dimensional characteristics offering a clear advantage with reduced sorting and handling costs during installation.
- Longer pipes = Less welding = Lower cost
CPW has unique capability to manufacture and coat up to 24m pipes in HFI and SAW pipe mills.
Mill upgrades and scheduled double joining facility installation, offer to our customers time and cost benefits of on-site welding and field joint coating during onshore pipeline installation and offshore lay-barge operations
- Downstream operations
CPW offers a full range of external and internal coatings on pipe sections up to 24m long, applied at the same location as our pipe manufacturing operations. To offer an equally attractive range of coatings for offshore pipeline projects, CPW is installing a Concrete Weight Coating facility.
CPW produces a wide range of high quality casing and conductor pipe, complete with forged and threaded end-connectors for use in oil and gas drilling at significant cost savings.
CPW’s independently accredited test lab performs the tests required to support a major pipe production and coating facility, including NACE corrosion tests under sour service conditions
In order to remain up-to date with the latest technical and technological developments, Corinth Pipeworks continuously monitors the following R&D activities:
- Implementation of process optimization techniques in cooperation with top quality suppliers of technological equipment, and extensive internal trial production to narrow the optimum working range for all variables and target higher product uniformity.
- Collaboration with well-known steel manufacturers to further develop steel grades and production procedures for highly demanding projects like sour service conditions, deep offshore applications, high strain applications such as reeling, etc.
- Development of advanced tracking, process control systems and advanced non-destructive inspection techniques and controls.
- Collaboration with international research organizations and institutes (EPRG, TWI, Elkeme)
- Participation in major European and international projects targeting both the development of pipe properties and pipeline integrity (JIP and RFCS projects).